Welcome back! We’re halfway through the book of James. How ya feeling? Have you been using your bible study worksheet?
I am going to do a quick recap today over the things that we’ve discussed from the first two chapters of James, but I recommend that you go read those fully and then come back to this one.
Related: THHS Bible Study | James 2
So what have we learned so far?
- We should be joyful when going through hardship because tests and trials in our lives increase our faith and produce perseverance.
- We should ask God to help us resist our desires to sin and to free us from temptation. We can not do it on our own!
- Knowing the word of God means nothing if we don’t show it through our actions. When we read and study, it’s so so important that we don’t live out application. How can we apply what we’ve read to our daily lives?
- Bible study is essential to spiritual maturity. Read and study your word every day!
- Follow the golden rule and treat others how you would want to be treated.
- We will not let our flesh convince us that our sins “aren’t that bad” in comparison to others’.
- Faith without action is meaningless. We will start moving while believing!
So now that we have a quick summary of everything we’ve learned so far, let’s get into today’s chapter!
- Watch Your Tongue (vs. 1-12)
- In the first part of this chapter James tell us that anyone who never says anything wrong is perfect and able to control their whole body. How many of us can say we our perfect based on that alone? I sure can’t. We have to start watching the things that come out of our mouths because the things we say will manifest in our lives.
- The tongue, and the things you say, hold so much weight. This is why it’s so important that we don’t complain or speak negatively about people. We can find many scriptures that talk about the tongue. 1 Peter 3:10 says, “For, ‘Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.” In Matthew 15:11 Jesus tells us that, “What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
- Why is the tongue so important? Proverbs 18:21 answers this for us – death and life are in the power of the tongue.
- Takeaway: Let’s make a conscious effort to control the things that come out of our months. I know for me personally I have been working on not cussing or complaining. It is hard because it has become something that I’ve done every single day, but we know that both life and death are in the power of the tongue. Let’s speak life into our lives, our situations, our finances, our businesses, and our relationships!
- Wisdom and Understanding (vs. 13-18)
- In the next section of this chapter, James talks about wisdom. Wisdom is defined as the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement? Can you think of anybody in your life that has a lot of wisdom?
- James tells us that there are two different kinds of wisdom. The first kind is “earthly, unspiritual, and demonic”. This “wisdom” comes from having envy and selfish ambition. We should strive to not have this kind of wisdom, because the only things that come from it are disorder and evil practice. The second kind of wisdom comes from heaven and is pure, considerate, submissive, and full of mercy and good fruit. People who have this kind of wisdom are peacemakers who reap a harvest of righteousness.
- How can you tell what kind of wisdom you have? Well like I said before, if you have the first kind of wisdom then you can expect disorder and evil practice to come from it. However, if you have heavenly wisdom, you will produce good fruit, have a good life, and reap a harvest of righteousness.
- Takeaway: We should be looking to have heavenly wisdom; wisdom that is pure and peaceful, and produces good fruit and a harvest of righteousness. So we know what kind of wisdom we should have, but how do we get it? James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” All we have to do is ask for it.
- PS: Proverbs 8:11 tells us that wisdom is more precious than rubies and nothing can compare to it.
- Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to watch the things that come out of our mouth. We know that we have the ability to speak life or death over our situations and today we are choosing to speak life! We speak life over our families oh Lord. We speak life over our businesses, we speak life over our communities, we speak life over finances, we speak life over our grades. We speak life over any and everything in our lives God. We yearn for heavenly wisdom today Lord. We ask right now that you gives us wisdom because your word says that by wisdom and understanding we have gained wealth for ourselves. I ask this and all other things in your son Jesus’ name, Amen!
- Discussion (leave a comment below answering these questions):
- What aspect of your life are you choosing to speak life over from this day forward? What will that look like?
I’m so glad that you decided to join me in studying the book of James. My prayer is that you have taken something from this, and I hope that you come back to study chapter four with me tomorrow!
Are you looking to do some bible study on your own but you don’t know where to start? Grab my Bible Study Worksheet. It will help you break down any chapter of the bible and help you understand key concepts and how you can apply what you’ve studied to your life. You can check out this post to see how you can get it for FREE!
Are you subscribed to my mailing list? If not, you should be. That’s how you become one of the first people to know about blog posts, give suggestions on things I should write about, and hear about exciting new things coming up! Subscribe here –> http://eepurl.com/c-QkMP